Thursday, May 19, 2011

Junction, TX

A long day of driving, to be followed by a similarly long day of driving. The minivan is filled to the brim with drums and other sundry items, including bags of bachi we still need to finish, and some swag to assemble.

We drove through Texas Canyon in Arizona, completely through New Mexico, and then over Michigan Flats in Texas. It's windy and getting more vast, more humid, and more green, in that order. Rome and I have (possibly) already exhausted our collection of cds. (I say "possibly" because I know our moods will change and that tomorrow, Alanis Morrisette or the original Broadway recording of Chicago might be just the ticket).

Our books on tape are a bit questionable. The narrator for the Yiddish detective novel talks really fast and has an overwhelming penchant for clever, lurid detai, so that we can't relax at all while it's playing. And the wizard novel is strangely oblique and badly written (which can never be narrated into goodness). And I think we're already halfway through the savory road snacks!

We're excited about seeing the Mississippi River and New Orleans tomorrow. We'll get there through Houston, drop off a couple of drums for a buyer, and then shoot for Gulfport. I looked online to make sure I-10 is open as we head into the flood zone.

Tonight, we're in a little mom & pop hotel called the Legends Inn. It's cute, apparently favored by avid recreationalist outdoorsy types and serious bikers, and has a new free breakfast!

I'm going to try to figure out how to link Facebook and the blog, so the pictures I upload show up here. I got some nice ones today.

Must sleep. Must wake and drive drive drive again tomorrow.

No comments: