Friday, May 20, 2011


Rome’s turn to blog.

Today began in Junction, TX, and it’s ending in Gulfport, MS. If you know your US geography, you know we drove nearly 800 miles today.

Ugh.

After driving nearly 800 miles yesterday.

Double ugh.

But, on the up side, we only have about 600 miles to cover tomorrow to get to Orlando.

Um….yay?

Today was actually a good day, 800 miles aside. It’s easy driving, all freeway, and we only got lost once (missed an exit in San Antonio, and it only took about 10 miles to notice the signs said “West” instead of “East.)

There’s just not much to say about a day of driving, though. I still remember all the words to “There is a Sucker Born Every Minute,” the original Broadway cast of Chicago is still the best, and I learned I can play Angry Birds in the car without getting sick.

Um…yay?

We’re looking forward to arriving in Orlando tomorrow and settling in for a few days. I really am looking forward to the ASTD Conference, and I’m glad our session is on the first day. It’ll leave me free to enjoy the rest of the Conference (and Sea World and Harry Potter world. No wands at the former, no Shamu at the latter)

Today we passed Iowa—y’know, the one in Louisiana.

Whenever I’m far from home, I ask my hotel clerk where I can find a delicious meal I just couldn’t get in Tucson, AZ. Tonight, we didn’t hit Gulfport until after 10 PM, and all of the restaurants our clerk wanted to send us to were already closed. Rather than a restaurant we COULDN’T go to in Tucson, we had to settle for one we WOULDN’T go to in Tucson. I don’t want to plug the place here; suffice it to say I think I’ve lost every shred of feminist cred I ever had.

Tomorrow, Orlando!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Rome and Karen, thanks for keeping us in on your drive...don't you wish we could just say, "Beam me up, Scotty!" and be there! Happy singing. See if you can remember all the words to The Sound of Music songs. Liz Johnson

Odaiko Sonora said...

Thanks, Liz, for your blessings and your energy on this trip. It's great knowing someone at home is keeping a little candle lit :-)